This course will be taught in english.
In this course, we will look into the concepts, main functionalities, resources and operation of smart grids.
Smart grid definition (European Commission Smart Grids Task Force):
"A Smart Grid is an electricity network that can cost efficiently integrate the behaviour and actions of all users connected to it – generators, consumers and those that do both – in order to ensure economically efficient, sustainable power system with low losses and high levels of quality and security of supply and safety. A smart grid employs innovative products and services together with intelligent monitoring, control, communication, and self-healing technologies (...)."
Main topics that
will be approached:
- Smart grid description and scope;
- Smart Transmission system (Wide Area Monitoring and Control);
- Advanced metering infrastructure and communication technologies;
- Advanced Distribution Management;
- Distributed energy resources;
- Operation of active distribution networks;
- Decentralized energy markets.